PORTLAND, Ore. — Civilians and police worked together Wednesday night to catch a sex offender accused of cutting a woman’s hair on a TriMet bus and running away earlier this month. 

Just hours before the arrest, CrimeStoppers had announced a $1,000 reward for the capture of 30-year-old Jared Weston Walter. Walter has been previously investigated, charged and convicted for similar activities, targeting women of all ages. 

Several different 911 callers reported seeing Walter in the area of Southeast 82nd Avenue and Holgate Boulevard just after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to Portland police. Several civilians chased after him.

A woman described the most recent attack to KGW.

“I see, coming out of the edge of his hoodie, are a pair or scissors. So I start screaming at him, ‘are you cutting my hair?!'” #kgwnews pic.twitter.com/jePPa7HQK0

— Rachael Rafanelli (@RachaelKGW) May 11, 2017 >

Officers found him at 7:52 p.m. in the 4300 block of Southeast 89th Avenue and took him into custody. He was jailed on charges of harassment and interfering with public transportation.

Jared Walter, wanted for cutting women’s hair on a TriMet bus, was arrested Wednesday night with the help of some vigilant civilians.

Posted by KGW’s Rachael Rafanelli on Thursday, May 11, 2017

In 2010, Walter was sentenced to 14 months in prison for clipping women’s hair on TriMet buses around Portland. Other victims said Walter also put super glue in their hair.

In 2013, Walter was again arrested when police said that on at least three occasions he ejaculated into the hair of different women riding TriMet. He was sentenced to two years in prison for those charges but was released from custody in July 2014.

2013: TriMet ‘barber’ back in jail on new crimes

And then in 2014, Walter followed a woman into a Dollar Tree Store at the Oregon City Shopping Center and cut her hair with scissors.

2014: TriMet ‘barber’ faces new hair-cutting charge

“We will not tolerate this type of behavior on our transit system,” said TriMet safety director Harry Saporta. “As this individual has clearly shown he will continue to re-offend despite repercussions, we will work closely with transit police and the district attorney’s office to find this individual and seek the harshest penalty possible.”

Saporta said while the maximum TriMet exclusion is six months, the agency is exploring a long-term ban that will keep Walter off of TriMet vehicles and property once he is caught.

© 2017 KGW-TV